Tagging SQL queries with annotations allows you to leverage the intermix.io App Tracing suite of tools. Annotations tagged with the intermix.io - Tagging Specification will automatically be detected by intermix.io and visible in the dashboard.
App Tracing is a powerful feature which correlates information about applications (dashboards, orchestration tools) with cluster performance data. It can answer questions like:
- which dashboard and user is contributing to this spike in queries?
- what is the average latency of a dashboard? Of all dashboards executed by a particular user?
- my Airflow or Pinball tasks experienced a spike in latency - what caused it? Which query slowed down and why?
- my Airflow or Pinball jobs are failing, how can I quickly find those queries in Intermix?
Two Ways to Generate Query Annotations
- Web-based tool
When to use this
You can use this process to manually tag any query. For example dashboards (i.e. in Chart.io) or to update SQL strings manually. This is also useful to tag code executed by an internal system. ie the Talend ETL system is Java based - and Intermix does not currently offer a Java plugin (we do offer a Python Plugin). So to annotate Talend queries you should use the widget.
Steps to Tag a Query
- Log into intermix.io and go to 'Organization Settings' -> 'App Tracing'
- Enter the values that identify your SQL query and hit 'Create'.
- Paste the annotation string to the top of your SQL query.